For any RDF/RDFS/OWL ontology term or set of terms (called a "signature"), return all axioms logically implied to be
necessary and sufficient for complete reasoning over the signature.
The module extraction service accepts the following inputs:
Ontology terms must be in RDF/XML (for conversion services, see /convert).
- a list of term URIs optionally supplemented with rdfs:isDefinedBy annotations to specify the location of defining ontologies
- an OWL graph whose signature is the union of all terms in the graph
The service returns a set of axioms (called a module) such that:
- the module is a union of "atoms" such that reasoning over the resultant graph yeilds the same
logical results as reasoning over the union of each term's entire ontology
- the reasoning guarantee relies on each fragment being OWL DL and network conditions allowing
the retrieval of all terms
- compare to the results of reasoning over any particular term and its dependencies at /reason
To engage this service programmatically via the RESTful API, see sswap.info/wiki/api.
See: Del Vescovo C, Gessler D, Klinov P, Parsia B, Sattler U, Schneider T, Winget A (2011). Decomposition and Modular Structure of BioPortal Ontologies. In Proceedings of the 10th International Semantic Web Conference ISWC 2011
(Part I) pp. 130-145